Sunday, May 26, 2013

Hmmm....

As I was googling Randy Turner's name I came upon several articles that he was quoted in dealing with online communication with students.  He had a very strong opinion on being able to continue having "online" relationships with his students.  To me that seems very odd, so I did a little more digging.  Randy Turner has a Facebook page and a Twitter feed, but then the next thing I found deeply disturbed me.  He had a Myspace page.  Are there any adults who actually use Myspace anymore?  To me this is a kid only website; I personally have zero friends who use Myspace.

This leads me to give you this definition of "grooming" - To prepare, as for a specific position or purpose

Isn't this what child predators do? Make sure they have as much contact with children as possible!  What could you possibly have to talk about with a student on Facebook, Twitter, or Myspace that couldn't wait until the next day of school?  Sounds like a child predator who is preparing his victims for a specific purpose and based upon what I've read of his book, a specific position.

No comments:

Post a Comment